How-To's, Homebrews, Hacks, Maybe even some tic-tacs?

Monday, September 05, 2005

Ipod Shuffle Drive


If your like me you hate those stupid side usb ports right there in the way. Well welcome to the king of all solutions "The Ipod Shuffle Drive". It's pretty dang simple to make so here it goes.

supply's:
Wood (just run down to lowes and pick up some cheap junk, I got more than enough for under $10)
3.5 to 5.2 drive conversion rails (these things are cheap, I ripped them out of my junker.)
Floppy drive cover (or zip drive, really who uses zip drives these days?)
Screws (just some small screws no nails.)
Glue (I used gorilla clue, that stuff ain't movin)
Rivets (Holds strong, perfect for the application)
Spray Paint (optional, but hey the stuff is like 2 dollars)
USB 2.0 to motherboard connector
USB 2.0 extension cable

Step 1:
Take your floppy drive cover and rivet it to your mounting rails. Make sure you make it "float" in the rails (I.E. not to high not to low).

Step 2:
Take that wood you bought and cut it to form around you Ipod (see picture for a cheap example). Make sure you put your usb connector at the end of the tunnel. Also some glue around the usb connector will help. Basically I sandwiched the wood together held with screws and glue (J.B. weld might be better than gorilla glue for that).

Step 3:
Mount your floppy/rails base thingy and screw it to your ipod tunnel/holder thingy. I used glue and screws for that.

Step 4:
Your done except for hooking it up. Just hook up the USB to Motherboard connector to your usb extension cord and slide in your drive. It's over. Go get a soda and kick back while Itunes steals your cash.






7 Comments:

Blogger editor said...

I was surfing for stuff and came across your blog. Not what I was looking for but I've left an invitation for you to visit me if you are into weight control. Let me know what you think.

6:28 PM

 
Blogger Johnny Canuck said...

I definitely don't have all the answers, but I know that as long as people keep sharing ideas like this, the truth will eventually reveal itself and maybe it can make a difference somewhere.

I think this blog rocks! Keep up the good work, I've bookmarked it and will definitely swing by again soon.

Feel free to pay a visit to my Canada immigration site. It might not be your "cup of tea", but it covers Canada immigration related topics.

6:37 PM

 
Blogger Phentermine said...

Your blog is thorough If you have a weight issue, I'm sure you'd be interested in xenical diet purchasing xenical diet

6:40 PM

 
Blogger Free iPods said...

Nice Blog. Check this out, you can get a free iPod

6:41 PM

 
Blogger Nick ---------- said...

My school still uses zip drives for digital art. It sucks...why not like a cheap usb flash drive or better yet a cd burner and some cd-rw's

6:44 PM

 
Blogger Dru E. said...

Nick,
Lol our teachers jumped from zip drives to flash drives over the summer. I'm gonna see how long it takes before they get onto external HD's :).

6:28 AM

 
Blogger Iza Firewall said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home